Geography of Ambala

Ambala is an important district in the state of Haryana, situated at a distance of just about 55 kms from the state capital - Chandigarh. The district is mainly divided into two sub divisions. First is the Ambala City division and another is the Ambala Cantt division.

Geography of Ambala

Geographical Area and Location of Ambala

District Ambala is situated on the North Eastern rim of the state of Haryana. It lies at 27-39”- 45’ north latitude and 74-33”- 53’ to 76-36”- 52’ east longitude. The total area of Ambala district is 1568.85 sq km and is divided into three divisions namely Ambala, Naraingarh and Barara. It is separated by district Yamuna Nagar in the South East, Kurukshetra in the South, Districts Ropar and Patiala and the U.T. Chandigarh in the West. In the North and North east of Ambala lies the Sirmaur district and Shivalik range of Solan.

Ambala is situated and an altitude of approximately 900 feet above sea level.
The major rivers that drain Ambala district are The Markanda, The Dangri (Tangri) as well as the Ghaggar. The Markanda and The Dangri eventually draw off into The Ghaggar beyond the boundary of Ambala district.

Population of Ambala

As per the 2011 census, the district has a total population of about 1,136,784. The figure is almost equal to the population of Cyprus. In India, Ambala holds a ranking of 410th among 640 in terms of population. Males constitute 53.14% of Ambala’s total population whereas females comprise of 46.86%.Per square density of population in Ambala is 722. Over the years 2001 to 2011, the population of Ambala has increased at a rate of 11.23 per cent.

The sex ratio of Ambala is 890 females per 1000 males and the literacy rate is 76 per cent. Hindi and Punjabi are most commonly used as these are the official languages of the district. However, Punjabi speaking people are much more in Ambala than Hindi speaking ones.

Climatic Conditions of Ambala

Ambala district experiences mostly continental climate all through the year. The climate can be very hot during summers and extremely cold during winters. The hottest months are May and June with temperature towering up to 48oC. During December and January, the temperature dips down to 0 to -1oC.

Rainfall in Ambala
Ambala has a tropical as well as semi dry climate. Being close to the Thar Desert and far away from the coastal areas, Ambala does not experience monsoon to its fullest as it is seen in the eastern and central part of the country.

Almost 70 per cent of the rainfall can be received from the month of July to September. Remaining 30 percent is received from December to January. Ambala gets the maximum rainfall in the state with 47.16 inches per year.

Mineral Resources in Ambala

One can find only sand mineral in Ambala district. As per the orders of Punjab and Haryana High Court, Haryana has put a ban on mining in the state, particularly Ambala, from 2010 till date.

You may also like to visit

Free Listing